To give it a go yourself you will need:
⅔ cup caster sugar
½ teaspoon peppermint essence
1 ¼ cups self raising flour
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon cocoa
½ cup grated dark chocolate
1. Preheat your oven to 180˚C and line a 12 hole muffin tin with patty cases.
2. In a large bowl mix butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, the beat in essence.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift flour and cocoa together and lightly fold into the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
5. Fold in chocolate.
6. Fill patty cases evenly about ⅔ of the way up.
7. Place tray in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Once cooked remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack.
8. To ice the original recipe suggests that you place a white fondant disk on top of the cupcake with half a chocolate mint to decorate but I have made a simple butter cream icing and coloured it green as well as adding a couple of drops of peppermint essence to compliment the cupcake and piped it.
They were the perfect treat to enjoy while watching the royal wedding!