To make you will need:
1 small chocolate swiss roll
1L vanilla ice cream
1L chocolate ice cream
1 family sized bag of maltesers (155g)
100g of dark chocolate chopped
⅔ cup of cream
1 small handful of chocolate chips to decorate
1. Grease a 24cm round spring form cake tin then line the sides and base with baking paper.
2. Cut the swiss roll into pieces, approx 2-3cm thick each and arrange in a single layer over the bottom of the tin (tip – I broke up the left over pieces to fill any gaps).
3. Place the vanilla ice cream in a bowl and let it stand until it reaches room temperature and has just softened. Mix it with a wooden spoon, add maltesers and stir through. Spoon this mixture over the chocolate swiss roll and place in the freezer until firm.
4. Place the chocolate ice cream in a bowl and again stand until it has reached room temperature and just softened. Mix with a wooden spoon and place it on top of the vanilla layer. Take extra care to make sure the top of the chocolate layer is smooth and place in the freezer until firm.
5. Place chocolate and cream in in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and stir until smooth, remove and cool then pour over the frozen chocolate ice cream and return quickly to the freezer where it must be left until set.
6. To serve you will need to remove the cake from the pan and slide it on to a serving plate. Decorate with the chocolate chips and let it stand for 5 minutes to soften slightly before cutting.
This cake can be made up to 4 days in advance and is sure to impress. Enjoy!